[consulting] Responding to RFPs

Domenic Santangelo domenics at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 18:30:23 UTC 2010

Fred,

On Feb 1, 2010, at 5:23 AM, Fred Jones wrote:

> I myself am a programmer, not a designer. Do people think this is
> correct? That a 'mere' freelancer like myself shouldn't bother with
> RFPs? Even for a project I think I could handle?

Sounds like you found an RFP you're trying to talk yourself into responding to ;)

It's been my experience that RFPs are issued to appease/convince someone (investors, the board, etc) to go with a person/company they've already chosen. Unless you know you're that person, I wouldn't spend any time on it. Of course if it's a project you have some real expertise in and you're passionate about, there's no harm in throwing your hat into the ring -- especially if your workload otherwise is pretty light -- but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

-D