[consulting] RE : Getting Freelance Work

fgm fgm at osinet.fr
Wed Jun 2 06:28:29 UTC 2010

I don't know about your country, but here not having insurance means not being able to compete in RFPs, for instance (and yes, as an independant consultant, you /can/ succeed there, but it's another question), and a good number of companies just won't buy services for a non-insured supplier. And even if it were not, you really want to be covered, just in case.

And, as Matt said, insurance coverage is not expensive: it is normally proportional to the amount billed in the previous year, with a minimum rate, and should probably not be more than around 1/1.5k EUR for a freelancer.

What might be a bit more difficult is obtaining a first contract if you have already been working without one, because such contracts normally grandfather preexisting risks, and insurance companies are wary of this if the previous work was never insured in the first place.