[consulting] Developer Position at Trellon

Michael Haggerty mhaggerty at trellon.com
Tue Jun 22 18:22:22 UTC 2010

Know a thing or two about writing custom modules, themes, and
configuring high performance Drupal sites? Trellon seeks qualified
Drupal developers to join our elite development team. We are hiring
for positions ranging from senior developers to technical leads. See
the full job description here: http://www.trellon.com/explore/job-openings/drupal-developer

What This Job is All About

Drupal Developers are important actors in our delivery process. Here's
what we expect them to do:

• Understand the goals and strategy behind each project from
conception through completion. Our thoughtful, dedicated approach to
working with clients is what sets us apart. Lead developers help make
sure each project meets or exceeds the goals we set out to achieve.

• Write clean, well-engineered code that conforms with accepted
standards within the Drupal community, and test web applications.
Drupal Developers set an example through strong quality assurance
practices in their day to day work.

• Communicate effectively with project managers, technical leads,
internet strategists, and other internal team members, as well as
outside stakeholders. We want to maintain a positive, productive
environment, and Drupal Developers are active in sharing knowledge
across the organization and with our clients.

• Identify opportunities for process improvement and make constructive
suggestions for change. There is always a better way to do things, and
Drupal Developers are instrumental in helping our team to become more
productive.

Who We Are Looking For

Drupal Developers bring a broad range of skills with them including a
background in different technologies, critical thinking skills and
expertise in the platforms we commonly use to deliver great results to
clients. Have-to-have skills include the following:

• Strong understanding of best practices in Drupal development. We
specialize in the following areas, and you should know a thing or two
about some of them:
  - custom module development, advanced theming and site configuration.
  - high availability and multisite configurations.
  - multilingual web sites.
  - social network integration, especially with Facebook, MySpace,
Hi5, and Orkut.
  - mobile sites, including SMS applications and integration with
handheld apps.

• The ability to interact with clients and help them to understand
Drupal. This includes:
  - exploring ideas for how to use the platform, and explaining what
various modules do.
  - collecting requirements and helping people craft their strategy
for how to use their web sites.
  - demonstrating new features as they become available, receiving
feedback and incorporating it in your work.

• Knowledge of PHP and MySQL development techniques, including the
following:
  - using svn for code checkouts, version control, and deployment
techniques.
  - troubleshooting issues that occur at the server level, related to
database throughput, preprocessor configuration, memory resident
storage, and more.
  - web server and datbase tuning.

• The ability to work without direct supervision, to make use of
internal project management tools, to diligently record your hours in
the timekeeping system, and to keep others aware of your schedule for
planning purposes.

Nice-to-haves include the following:

• Visibile participation in your local Drupal scene. We support groups
throughout North America and are always looking for ways to increase
that support.

• jQuery and CSS development skills. We are always looking for people
with a sense of style.

• CRM integration skills. Trellon works with CiviCRM, SugarCRM,
Salesforce, Raisers Edge, and a lot of other CRM systems.

• Experience with scalability issues and high performance web sites.
Many of our sites need to scale to handle massive amounts of traffic.

• Technical documentation. We like concept diagrams, site maps,
feature lists, data transformation tables, and anything else that
provides transparency to our process.

• Writing skills. Articulate, clever people with their own opinions
will find many outlets for their talents.

Why You Would Want to Work Here

Trellon is a little different from other companies. There are a lot of
reasons you might want to look at working with our team:

• We build awesome Drupal sites. Trellon delivers robust solutions on
tight timeframes, which often include advanced components that go far
beyond out of the box solutions. We are experts on thinking through
challenges and developing thoughtful, sustainable solutions that are
satisfying on so many levels.

• You get to travel and attend Drupal functions all over the place.
Trellon sponsors events throughout North America, Europe and other
parts of the world and we bring the team along wherever we go.

• You work from home on your own schedule. Trellon is a virtual
company, there's no boss looking over your shoulder telling you to
turn off Oprah.

• You get to make the world a nicer place. 90% of our clients are non-
profits, NGOs, associations, universities and other worthwhile
organizations looking to do great things. The other 10% of our clients
are doing something special with the Internet and are generally using
it for really cool purposes.

• You get to learn something new. We have a fantastic team of smart
people, all of whom enjoy sharing their knowledge, and our projects
tend to be cutting edge affairs that involve unique, sophisticated
technology challenges. We hire based on character just as much as
technical competence.

• You get paid to contribute back to Drupal. Full time developers are
paid to write patches, contribute modules, blog about cool topics, go
to user groups, and generally act as a responsible open source people.

How to Apply

Send a copy of your resume, a cover letter stating your salary
requirements, and a list of links to sites you have built and your
Drupal user profile to jobs at trellon.com.