[consulting] Setting Up as an Independent Contractor

Eric Tucker eric at semperex.com
Mon Mar 29 02:58:41 UTC 2010

Hi guys,

Just a few thoughts. I'm on both sides of the coin as both a consultant and one who does purchase services from subcontractors as well as for my own projects.

Typically, my clients will want ownership or unfettered licenses to the code. Investors tend to prefer that the company they are investing in owns the code, and as I do not wish to be a hindrance to my clients that means code gets assigned to them. However if the client is okay with it, for reusable code I put in a license to be able to reuse the code for other purposes.

There are many forms of licensing and types of licensing.

You can make code assignable upon delivery or payment.

In general, I try to run as close to a zero balance project as I can. The client pays a certain amount up front or as a deposit, and then the remainder is paid upon delivery or as we go along in regular intervals. If being paid prior to delivery or specific milestones, I insist on seeing intermediate progress from my contractors. Furthermore, I try my best to show the end client all progress. I'm all about openness in this regard. I give it, and I expect it.

I cannot ask for a good amount up front without having built up some trust. Trust is a two way street, and both should give the other some trust and work to build the level of trust incrementally where possible.

I shy away from one off deals or those without an ongoing future relationship, so my advice may not be pertinent to all.

If there is an established relationship, then I may get less up front or do work on a 30 to 45 days basis.  This is not without some risk, but I've only been burned once.

When I purchase services, I look for the same terms I would expect to be held to.

Remember this:  being a contractor is running a business. Business is best built on relationships. Relationships are best built on trust. Trust must be two ways and be built up over time.  Others will not trust if some trust is not given. I try to build relationships with those I can trust and who can learn to trust me. It takes time.
Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.