[consulting] Setting Up as an Independent Contractor

Dave Hall me at davehall.com.au
Mon Mar 29 05:11:16 UTC 2010

Disclaimer: IANAL

On Sun, 2010-03-28 at 23:38 -0500, Eric Tucker wrote:

> ----- "Sami Khan" <sami at etopian.net> wrote:
> >
> > I am sorry but when you work on Drupal, you should retain the rights
> > your code or it should be GPL,

The 2 things are mutually exclusive.  You can retain ownership over code
and release it as GPL.

> I hate the idea of businesses
> > appropriating not only labour but intellectual property as well.
> Just
> > because this is the norm does not mean its right or fair.
>
> The spirit of Drupal is GPL.  Extensions to Drupal should in many if
> not all cases be GPL, but I can't sit here and say without some
> evaluation whether this is true in all cases.
>
> From a legal perspective I believe there are certain aspects of Drupal
> integration that may or may not fall under GPL requirements, and I'm
> not qualified to get into the details as I am not a lawyer.

Drupal is not wordpress (thank <diety-of-choice />), but I think the
general principles of the SFLC advice to wordpress apply equally to
drupal - see
http://wordpress.org/development/2009/07/themes-are-gpl-too/ for more
info.

Goto disclaimer;