[consulting] Setting Up as an Independent Contractor

Luigi Bai lpb at focalpoint.com
Mon Mar 29 10:24:52 UTC 2010

Hi Dave,

I know this will come across as nitpicking, but to be clear: releasing code
under the GPL actually /requires/ you to retain ownership of the code. To do
one you have to do the other. The GPL is a license to others of rights you
retain; if you don't retain those rights, you can't protect your code with
the GPL.

And so it's clear it works the other way: you can also assign code, as a
work-for-hire, to your client, while contractually obligating them to release
it back to you under the GPL.

Finally, but probably not exhaustively, as others have mentioned, you can
write the code as a work-for-hire, where it's owned by the client and never
released to anyone under any license.

ITANAL
Luigi Bai