[consulting] CiviCRM comments (Re: CiviCRM / Drupal integration expert)

Matt Chapman matt at ninjitsuweb.com
Sun May 9 00:19:27 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Donald A. Lobo <lobo at yahoo.com> wrote:
> * As matt has mentioned, we do think talk is silver, code is golden.

Here's some code:

git clone git://github.com/matt2000/profile.git

(make sure you're getting the 'civicrm' branch -- i'm new to github
and not sure how to direct you beyond that.)

I would NOT call this a proof-of-concept. Merely a silly Saturday
experiment. On install, the profile2_civicrm module reads the
Contact.xml database schema definition from CiviCRM, and creates the
fields using Drupal 7 Field API on the Profile2 'main' profile entity.

In reality, this is almost definitely the wrong thing to do; we'd
probably want to create our base tables with Schema API and add an
EntityController (both of which can also be automated from CiviCRM's
XML, if it seems like a good idea to do so.) Field API would be used
just for adding 'custom' fields to our Entities. But I already know
how to use SchemaAPI and wanted to practice more with Fields, so this
was my exercise for the day.

You can see here a roadmap for the kind of code work I think is needed
to get Drupal CRM off the ground:

http://www.dropcrm.org/

Please forgive the rough start there; we're just starting to get
organized. Feel free to jump in and help flesh out ideas; all pages
are wiki'd. Let's be realistic; we're not going to have a release in a
month. A year or more to 1.0rc is not an unreasonable expectations.
But based on the discussions I've had since DCSF, there are more than
enough people who know that it's time to start breaking the dependency
on external systems in order to build the best possible CRM for
Drupal.

For more golden code & places to help out, see:

http://drupal.org/project/profile2
http://drupal.org/project/entity
http://drupal.org/project/issues/views?text=&status=All&priorities=All&categories=All&version=7.x&component=All
http://drupal.org/project/issues/date?text=&status=Open&priorities=All&categories=All&version=7.x&component=All
http://github.com/Vertice/features
http://github.com/damz/postaladdress
http://github.com/drupalcommerce/drupalcommerce

All the Best,

Matt Chapman
Ninjitsu Web Development

--
The contents of this message should be assumed to be Confidential, and
may not be disclosed without permission of the sender.