[consulting] consulting Digest, Vol 52, Issue 14

Joe Murray joe.murray at jmaconsulting.biz
Sun May 9 18:01:23 UTC 2010

So Matt, I'm unclear on whether your vision for Drupal CRM and work on it
involves integrating with and leveraging CiviCRM or redeveloping from the
ground up, or maybe both.

In the short term I am interested in allowing Drupal's goodness as a dev
framework to supplement the user focussed built-in functionality of CiviCRM.

Creating a data layer in Drupal to access CiviCRM's database is a great
start, since this will presumably enable stuff to built on top of it. D7's
shift from node to entities and other more generic standards like a Schema,
EntityController, etc will avoid the ugliness and waste of things like
synching up CiviCRM with copies in Drupal nodes, or membership in an OG and
a CiviCRM group.

In the medium and longer term there may some ability to share efforts
between a Drop CRM and CiviCRM. However, at the moment I see a fair degree
of divergence. Drop is oriented towards a commercial rather than non-profit
organization. All CRM's share a great deal of functionality, however, and
there are benefits to having a larger install base and developer community
for an open source software project / install profile. For example, Convio
has reskinned and extended SalesForce.com for the non-profit world in its
Common Ground SaaS offering. The second area where I have trouble imagining
a full convergence is that CiviCRM supports Joomla as well as Drupal. I have
trouble imagining Joomla folks wanting to have a Drupal as well as Joomla
install on their system.

Joe Murray, PhD
President, JMA Consulting
joe.murray at jmaconsulting.biz