[consulting] Keeping Web Sites Updated

Emma Irwin emma.irwin at gmail.com
Tue May 11 17:04:22 UTC 2010

I just want to add two thoughts of my own.
The first is Craiglist - I find this to be a mostly hit and miss list for
Drupal developers (perhaps it's just my area) - companies aren't giving
their names, yet want all of your information, offered rates are low.  I am
very cautious of ads there.

Secondly comments about volunteers 'not following through'.  As a volunteer
Drupal developer in my community, I often find that my frustration is
getting organizations to follow through on *their* role in the process.
 Everyone agrees ( in the beginning)  how great it would be to update their
own content,  it all sounds *wonderful* and everyone is in love . But, once
we get to the point where that's possible they still want help - they don't
have time...it's more work than they bargained for etc.  I've literally
spent weeks of my own time to be on time, and had the project die because
the organization wasn't prepared to invest the time to be trained and to add
content/understand image cropping etc.  I think a lot of this is my own
fault, in not properly communicating expectations and roles - but it's
almost made me want to *charge* something, as sometimes money means people
will follow through.  If there is no money, then there is nothing to lose  -
unless of course you are the developer with blocks of wasted time.
I am a volunteer in many other areas of my community, but now very hesitant
to volunteer my programming skills after 3 such orgs have failed to deliver
their end.