[consulting] Keeping Web Sites Updated

Barry Madore barry at advantagelabs.com
Tue May 11 18:25:23 UTC 2010

Sorry in advance for the too-long message, I kinda took this thread's
ball and ran with it.  No time to edit I offer up in hopes it can spur
further conversation...

The important point here is continuity, maintaining consistent
attention to the site, its content and features.  I think the first
thing the organization needs to do is officially realize the
importance of their site to their mission and dedicate resources to it.

This means, at a minimum, dedicated staff time --  a person who has
the tasks associated with maintaining (and populating) the site
written into their job description along with time this responsibility
requires.  Otherwise, program work always trumps site work.  The site
suffers and when work gets done, the staffer responsible resents the
extra time it took to do it (usually uncompensated).

Don't get me wrong, others can be involved.  In fact, this is a
strength of Drupal and other CMSs.  The site's "community manager" (as
we like to refer to this role) should have the ability to delegate
content generation to other staff (department leads, field workers,
volunteers etc.) who are the experts in the given content.

I don't think a developer should enter the picture unless the above
(at a minimum) is already in place.  If it is not, then the developer
should make this priority one before starting.

To make things sustainable, I also think the following is important:

* starting from (or migrating to) a hosted and managed Drupal
distribution
* ongoing relationship with a Drupal vendor -- the distribution's
maintainer and/or host -- or a Drupal developer familiar with site,
the organization and the Drupal distribution
* getting involved in local Drupal community events (or starting them)

Hosted Distribution
This is going to set the organization up with a stable starting
point.  Having it hosted and managed will remove the major technical
hurdles to keeping the site safe and updated.  A good distribution
will have features out of the box and set up with vetted Drupal best
practices -- things Drupal newbies spend dozens of hours trying to
reach.

Ongoing Relationship
Hiring from Craigslist just won't get them what they need.  They need
consistency and regular attention.  I always recommend sticking with
the developer who set you up (if you can and the relationship is
good).  Otherwise, find someone who will learn the organization and
provide ongoing support even if it means just quick quarterly check-
ins for advice on direction or troubleshooting or Drupal advancements.

If you get set with a good distribution vendor, they can provide this
as part of their service.  It's money well spent if it's available.
They know the distribution and, therefore, the organization's site.
Cuts down research and trial-and-error troubleshooting -- rely on the
group experience.

Local Drupal Community
We have a great local community here in the Twin Cities.  Monthly
meetups (three regular ones now) provide a place to ask questions,
absorb new info, socialize, meet great developers and other Drupal-
using colleagues.  This leads to collaboration, skill sharing and
consistent inspiration.  All this leads to interest in keeping the
site up to date and improving.  And it's free (once it's organized).

It's not hard to start -- lots of great resources available once you
join groups.drupal.org:  http://groups.drupal.org/local-user-group-organizers
   If you don't have one or you (as the developer) don't want to start
one, help the organization start one (just post a meetup).  That's
what we did locally 4 or 5 years ago.  It's why I do what I do now.

I could go on.  This is just a skeleton of what can/should be done, in
my opinion.  We base our business at Advantage Labs (http://www.advantagelabs.com
) on this model.  We provide services (distribution, hosting,
consulting support, skill-sharing opportunities) to both nonprofit
organizations and also to developers so they can be the consistent
support mechanism for their clients:
  http://www.advantagelabs.com/catalyst-program
  http://www.advantagelabs.com/hosting/alliance-program

At Advantage Labs and in the greater Drupal learning community (http://groups.drupal.org/curriculum-and-training
) we've been thinking and talking a lot about Communities of Practice
as a model for Drupal support.  We think this is the way to go.  We'd
love to see other developers and vendors setting up this model in
their local communities.  It's what nonprofits need to ramp up to and
gain the skills necessary to maintain a sustainable Drupal online
community.

Barry Madore
Advantage Labs, Inc.
http://www.advantagelabs.com