[consulting] Volunteering / NPOs (was: Keeping Web Sites Updated)

Seth Freach sfreach at gmail.com
Tue May 11 19:01:55 UTC 2010

Like Matt and Emma, I have built more than a few sites and toolsets for
un/underfunded organizations that I care about or am involved with on a
volunteer basis, only to see them collect cobwebs or get mothballed.
Discouraging doesn't begin to describe it. (I once did a pro bono site
with a couple of tiers of permissioned users such for controlled
contributions, editing, and administration, events management calendar,
blogs, full CiviCRM backend, and theme work.  Then did training sessions
and offered to do more.  Only for it to sit there for 2 years and
ultimately get replaced with a MS frontpage site that the director felt
more comfortable with.)

I still do (too much!) volunteer work, but have learned a few tactics
that I now use:

   1. I state, upfront, that I'd be happy to build tools for others to
      use, but that I won't be using these tools, others will have to.
      I then repeat this over and over throughout the project.  I can
      usually get this across by asking "When would you like to get the
      training on this?" or "Who am I going to train to do this?"
   2. I try to get them to recognize that as a single volunteer that I
      have strengths and weaknesses.  I usually state that I'm a "cogs
      and gears, under the hood" guy and am not strong in the graphic
      design department (which is the truth, it's not a strong area of
      mine...)  I talk to them about going rates, firms and designers I
      know of who do drupal themes, and realistic expectations about
      hiring someone to do theme work and then try and get at least the
      initial theme work done for hire.  This does two things: A) Frees
      me from doing theme work :)  and B) Gets them to invest a little
      monetary buy-in to the project. Now they have skin in the game to
      make this project succeed, but it isn't a full tens of thousands
      of dollars price tag that they would have never been able to
      afford.  This one isn't always possible, but can be a good
      indication of the amount of willingness they have to make the
      project succeed out of the gates and whether this is something
      they need vs. something that they'd just be willing to take for
      free if it was offered.
   3. Most important, I've found, is exactly what Matt said about using
      an Agile approach.  I do little bits at a time and say, "there you
      go, that part is done and ready for you to start using".  It
      becomes apparent very quickly if the site/toolset is actually
      going to get used or not and if it's worth it for me to invest any
      more of my unpaid free time into the project.

Seth