[consulting] Contracted Help (As Needed Basis)

Jeff Greenberg jeff at ayendesigns.com
Fri May 28 19:54:12 UTC 2010

I used to manage over 100 developers, a mix of engineers, cowboys,
employee and contract, before I came to my senses and went back to a
cave and coding. I agree that screening is the most effective
method...if you have the time. We'd interview 1 person for every 10
resumes received, and hire 1 of every 5 or so interviews. The things
that helped select a good fit most of the time are hard to quantify and
are in addition to measurable coding and platform knowledge:
1. Coding intuition
2. General business knowledge (unless you're going to micro-spec, the
person needs to have an understanding of typical business rules)
3. Debugging intuition
4. Soft skills - communications, a proactive approach, etc

Jeff.