[consulting] Best way to set up Drupal exercise files?

Matt Chapman matt at ninjitsuweb.com
Sat May 29 20:17:27 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Tom Geller <tom at tomgeller.com> wrote:
>> Patterns or any other PHP solution won't help you with copying files
>> to places that aren't writable by the web server (i.e., installing
>> modules). You'll need shell scripts.
>
> This can't be true, because Drupal 7 lets you install modules via the Web interface. Am I missing something? If not, how could this be used?

That's Drupal 7; I assumed you're dealing with Drupal 6, in which
case, Drupal itself is incapable of writing files anywhere outside of
the 'files' directory.

To emulate Drupal 7's capabilities for Drupal 6 with a PHP based
solution, you'd have to make your modules directory writable by the
web server, which is generally not recommend. It's especially
dangerous in many shared hosting environments.

All the Best,

Matt Chapman
Ninjitsu Web Development