[consulting] Getting Freelance Work

Matt Chapman matt at ninjitsuweb.com
Sat May 29 20:56:56 UTC 2010

Yes, bidding too low is often just as bad as bidding too high. The
trick is figuring out what the clients expectations are, and what the
actual budget is, and finding the sweet spot that lets you finish the
project with a reasonable profit and make the client happy.

Easier said than done, which is why RFPs are usually a waste of time
until you're large enough to support a dedicated sales person, and can
make ends meet if s/he works for 3 months without bringing in a single
project. I have yet to meet a freelancer who wants to sign up for that
game.

I've had better luck partnering with larger agencies that do have
full-time sales people. I let them do the RFP (and pay me for my
consulting during the process). You may need to agree to take on some
of the risk when the actual deal is closed for an arrangement like
this (i.e., cap you billables), but it's usually worth it, IMO, for
the risk you avoided in the RFP response work.

All the Best,

Matt Chapman
Ninjitsu Web Development