[consulting] What Causes Feast or Famine?

Eric Goldhagen eric at openflows.com
Sun Apr 10 21:10:19 UTC 2011

At 4:00 PM -0400 4/10/11, netsperience wrote:

>How do I maintain my reputation?
>
>I have been working with Drupal since v 4 and that's a few years more
>than many other people.

How drupal version numbers work changed when drupal 5 came out (which
was almost called drupal 4.8)

So, if you say version 4, you are not being accurate or giving any
valid information. 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, 4.6 and 4.7 were as
different from each other as 5 is from 6. Drupal 7 is actually the
14th version of drupal.

4.0 came out in mid 2002, 4.7 in mid 2006.

So, saying you have used drupal since version 4 is, from my
perspective, not only useless information but could indicate a lack
of knowledge that disproves the claim.

Reputation is a delicate thing. Trying too hard can turn more
damaging than not trying at all.

Participating in the community is good, but pushing your name in a
clearly self-promotional way can backfire. Making your experience
known is good, overstating your experience can damage your
reputation. Keeping in touch with people you meet at drupal events
can be helpful, but adding everyone you meet to your own personal
announcement/spam list will surely damage your reputation.

It's a balancing act, one that takes thought and requires respect for
the larger community.

--Eric