[consulting] What Causes Feast or Famine?

Maike Marrek listen at jaasnee.de
Wed Apr 20 20:18:13 UTC 2011

Hi Fred,

what's about creating a place where stakeholders of supply and demand
find a comfortable way of communicating/presenting themselves?

On this international (!) list local/semi-local job offers are made,
because it's really hard to find some experts for (one or another
reason). On the other hand, recruiters/consultants might have problems
to get in contact with "unknown" drupal experts, because for them it's
still a quite unknown/uncomfortable way to start their approach via
mailing lists, forums or visiting local meetings.

Bringing both sides together might have some quite nice effects for the
organiser himself - a huge project to present his work and - moreover -
dozens of new contacts while looking for people who search for/offer
Drupal projects or special Drupal expertise.

Analysing the current usage of Drupal, I would say: there are/were some
important companies/organisations round the world (NPR, Zeit, Obama),
who use Drupal for their sites or parts of them. On the other hand there
are many, many small companies/organisations, who use Drupal just as a
quite cheap alternative instead of much more expensive CMSs or
solutions. But Drupal has definitely reached a complexity which prevents
non-professionals from using it.

NYC might be a good place for Drupal-developers (amongst others) in
media business, because anyhow Drupal made it there and presumably some
of them are connected with relevant decision makers anyway. And there
are lots of huge companies to work for. But if you can make it in NY,
you can make it everywhere ;-)

I'm not a technical expert, so I do not have a lot of experience with
programming and stuff like that. I'm working in the field of marketing
and sales and as a private person I'm monitoring the development of
Drupal and other open software products for more than ten years. There
is a need of connecting experts with potential ...
consultants/advertising agencies/recruiters/employers/trainers :-)

To answer your question:
- you have to be connected
- with someone with a concrete price margin in mind
- who's looking exact for the skills you have
- at the right moment
(to be continued ...)

As a marketer I would say: let's start a survey to get an idea where
needs are ;-)

Greetings from Germany
Maike