[consulting] Drupal themer needed for short gig

Brandon Dawson brandon at welaunch.it
Sat Aug 20 17:40:07 UTC 2011

One and all:

These subsequent replies to this thread are not material for a public
list, which is especially and doubly-recursively ironic considering you
yourselves are pointing it out. It is also totally unnecessary to call
out one-time mistakes in excess of their real damage or harm, which,
again, just compounds the problem.

Mr. Kelly should bear in mind that some of his points cut both ways. I'd
say most online-only contractors learn fairly quickly NOT to invest vast
amounts of time in proposals that they'll likely never hear back on,
often based on vague, imprecise specifications. His case was somewhat
different, since he was very specific and to-the-point about what he
needed.

But he still should understand that marketing services like these in an
international marketplace filled with hucksters and sweatshops is
inherently a numbers game where those who try to "do it right" are
already at a disadvantage, just by doing so. While I sympathize and
agree with his summary with regards to the efficacy of excessively
"boilerplate" responses, and applaud the extent to which it was a slap
in the face of those who brazenly and knowingly "do it wrong", it's also
a situation where "it is what it is."

Mr. Van Kets, IMHO, has already been chastened enough for what I'm quite
sure was a one-time mistake, given that it's the only time I've seen his
name in several months' membership on this list.

Messrs. Barrett, Jones, Heyman, Hyde, and others, would all do well to
reflect on the mistakes they made starting out (we all make them) and
could have reached out to the errant "Reply-All'er" privately, every bit
as easily as clicking "Reply All" themselves and deploying the
flamethrowers, in accordance with their own sarcastic retorts and/or advice.

Enough's enough, folks. Let's let this one drop, or at least keep it
on-point, professional, and free of personal digs or insults, since the
actual subject matter is a good topic for newer consultants/contractors.

-- Brandon Dawson