[consulting] Ticketing Software

Christian Pearce pearcec at xforty.com
Mon Dec 12 19:39:37 UTC 2011

Hi Fred,

We use RT. It is written in Perl. I know Perl from years back. You can customize it at a lot of different levels. For example it has a custom fields configuration that you can apply to tickets, transactions, queues, etc (think CCK). We have written custom plugins and integrated it into our accounting system, Adempiere. A process we are continuing to mold an shape as we grow and scale. We have separate schema's in our posgresql database. We wrote a JAVA process into Adempiere to pull in our tickets per customer into invoices for automated billing.

It is a swiss army knife when it comes to a ticketing system. You can easily do number 1. You either comment on a ticket which is an internal dialog that doesn't get sent to the customer, or replies which is correspondence with the customer. Number 2 works, but we disabled HTML. We were building reports from the transactions with time on it for our customers in Jasper. Having some with and without HTML made the reports look like garbage. Something that COULD be fixed, but we took the easy approach. Attachments we use quite frequently. As far as number 3. They can create tickets without logging in. They can correspond via email. But if you want them to log in then need a username and password. I could foersee being able to write software that lets people click a link to login as themselves. But the security ramifications would need to be thought through.

I can't say I love RT. I love what we have done with it to make our business run smoother. At this point I learned the system and know how to make it do what I want to do. But it isn't a quite and easy setup. You do need to customize it to your needs.

Talk to me offline if you are interested in having me do a crash course or setup for you.