[consulting] Looking for a developer to build a voting module for webform submissions

Eric Goldhagen eric at openflows.com
Tue Jun 7 12:43:01 UTC 2011

At 3:30 PM +0300 6/7/11, Bassem Chit wrote:
>Yes because webform submissions are not treated as nodes, so the
>up/down module only works on the form itself but not on the
>submissions, i.e the results

My reply to your initial message was going to point this out and
suggest that long-term if you ever plan on doing something with the
submitted data; if you are going to want to ever have the submitted
data act as or even be full nodes, webform is the wrong way to go.

If you need your submitted data to work with as individual
entries/nodes, you really should be starting with them as nodes. Use
a content type instead of webform.

This is my usual rule for deciding between webform or nodes. While
you get some nice flexibility from webform that is usable by
non-admin/non-techie types, if you need to manipulate that data
outside a spreadsheet afterwards, webform will not work for you.
(which you seem to understand and seems to be the motivation for
buliding the module you are talking about).

It is an interesting idea to try to expose webform submissions to
node-centric modules and apis like voting-api, I think you will
regret your decision at some point.

Maybe a module that takes every webform and syncs it to (creates it
as) a new full content type so that webform submissions can be
created as nodes as well as rows in the webform response table. In
some ways I think that could be a great module (it would essentially
be a less techie/developer oriented interface to create simple
content types), but it seems like a huge amount of development work
for a minor payoff that could be arrived at by doing this as nodes to
begin with.

--Eric