[consulting] Contract protection clause

netsperience rgoya at netsperience.org
Wed Mar 23 17:43:27 UTC 2011

  In my contracts and proposals I state that the client is fully
licensed to use the Drupal core and contributed modules code under the GPL

I would further interpret that any custom modules I add to the project
that work with the Drupal framework could fall under the same GPL

It's also important to carefully read the contract provided by a client,
I often annotate it when it states that client will "own" the code with
a reference to the GPL: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/

When I explain the reasons, and how the client is benefiting from the
open source code we are using that was created by others, it is usually
not a problem.

The point in question seems to be more about intellectual property,
probably from a client who recently saw "The Social Network" :)

Randall Goya (decibel.places) http://netsperience.org

Drupal: http://drupal.org/user/58977
Twitter: http://twitter.com/decibelplaces
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Decibel-Places/100000187748486