[consulting] Unsigned Contract Breach Question

Sam Cohen sam at samcohen.com
Thu Mar 14 13:48:02 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 9:42 AM, Jeff Greenberg <
listmail.ayendesigns at gmail.com> wrote:

> In my experience a verbal commitment can only stand as a contract if you
> have specifically clarified that the person making the verbal commitment is
> in a position to authorize work to begin without any further approval.

Well, this is more than a verbal commitment.  This was a written contract,
supplied by the client, including my scope of work, that was given to me to
sign.  The only issue was they didn't return a signed copy to me because it
was working it's way through their bureaucracy.

 It seems like in this case, they should sign first, or we should require
they sign first.  But the way it works here is they ask up to sign, to
commit, and then it works it way through legal.  Seems like it puts us at a
serious disadvantage, where we have to be fully committed, but the client
has no obligation.