[drupal-devel] Re: [contributions(DRUPAL-4-5):sheldon]

Jeremy Epstein jazepstein at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 06:10:36 UTC 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 1:54 AM, Sheldon Rampton <sheldon at prwatch.org> wrote:

> Based on my experience, I would recommend revising the contributor's
> guide so it doesn't advise Macintosh users to use CVL. Since I don't
> use Windows, I don't know whether continuing to recommend TortoiseCVS
> is a good idea, but if your goal is to ensure that contributors know
> what they're doing in CVS, I think it would be better to simply
> recommend using command-line access via a Unix terminal, and to
> provide a link to a good tutorial.

I'm a full-time Windows user (and ashamed of it, as I should be), so I
followed the advice in the Drupal handbook, and used TortoiseCVS to
access the repository. The handbook has very clear advice on using
TortoiseCVS to download and update the repositories to your local PC
(this is the simplest thing you can do with CVS). So this is what I've
been using TortoiseCVS for over the past month or so: logigng in
anonymously, and just grabbing all the files that are available.

When I got my CVS contrib account, I tried using TortoiseCVS to make
my first commit. I was too scared to do it: the handbook has no advice
on how to do this (except using CLI); and there are just so many menu
options you can select, and it's quite frightening, knowing that
pushing many of them could potentially stuff up other people's files.
So my policy now is to use command-line CVS (through Cygwin) for
commits, and to use GUI CVS only for refreshing my files
(anonymously).

I would advise all my fellow newbie-contributors to do the same thing:
only make commits using command-line CVS! Especially since the
handbook (to date) only has instructions for making commits using the
command-line utility.

Jaza.