[drupal-devel] Okay, I think I borked my CVS...what do I do now?

Syscrusher scott at 4th.com
Tue Apr 12 00:50:09 UTC 2005

My original goal was to take the "hof" module from my sandbox/syscrusher/hof
and put it into modules/hof for release, based on favorable test reports and
no outstanding bugs.

After reading the Contributor Guide, I *thought* what I needed to do was to
checkout DRUPAL-4-6 branch of contributions, then put my module into there
and tag it appropriately. When I did the CVS add, however, CVS reported that
the per-directory sticky tag on the parent directory (modules) made the tag
redundant.

Okay, I thought, I'll just proceed to add the new files. That seemed to work,
but they didn't show up on the CVS browser on drupal.org, which thought that
the files didn't match any branch tag (nor head -- it said the files were
there but didn't match even if I said "show all files").

So I did a CVS remove on that version (the original being still in my sandbox)
and recommitted. I went back and re-read the docs, and concluded (apparently
wrong) that I really needed to do an explicit "cvs tag -b DRUPAL-4-6" with the
files existing physically under contributions/modules in my local copy of HEAD,
and that this should make them appear in a checked-out 4.6 local copy.

Apparently, I've thoroughly borked this, because I now can't get the files to
show up in a 4.6 checkout, but can't get CVS to remove them so I can start
over.

I'm sorry to be dense here -- I *did* read the docs, but apparently I didn't
do something correctly. Can someone suggest what I should do next?

Scott