[drupal-devel] [bug] Missing <div> container on HTML output

Stefan Nagtegaal Drupal-Devel at iStyledThis.nl
Tue Apr 12 06:57:05 UTC 2005

Op 12-apr-05 om 0:31 heeft Chris Messina het volgende geschreven:

> I disagree. The div is useful for getting around IE5 problems with
> padding.
>
> Also, this div shouldn't be nixed unless you're going to be thorough
> and junk *all* "extraneous" divs in Drupal. Themers rely on such
> things (SFX would break, for example), so changing standard div usage
> is a big decision.
>
> "menu" also makes more sense for most people -- especially since it
> could be styled horizontally and completely *unlike* a tree.
>
> My two cents.
>
> Chris
>
> On 4/7/05, Steven Wittens <steven at acko.net> wrote:
>> The class should be on the <ul> instead.
>>
>> Steven Wittens

I would really like to remove all extraneous divs and implement the
theme('box')-approach, mentioned on the Drupal Conference by Ber
Kessels..

I think that adding classes to elements other than a <div> should is
good, because you do not use more markup than absolutely needed.
I think it would also be a good idea to completely minimize the
drupal.css. We should get rid of all eye-candy things, and only leave
in there which is _really_ important, or make it overrideable..
(Steven, I know your answer! ;-)

At last, i don't see what the problem is between applied CSS against a
<ul>-element or <div>. With both approaches we can do exactly the same
things, and can get the same results.

I truly think that the less html-markup we have in our code, the better
it is.. And, _every_ piece of HTML should be overridable inside the
theme.

So, imo breaking the themes for the introduction drupal 4.7 shouldn't
be a big problem, but I would like to know how you guys think of that..

Kind regards,

Stefan