[drupal-devel] Re: [feature] favicon patch for themes

Steve Dondley s at dondley.com
Tue Apr 19 00:53:48 UTC 2005

Chris Messina wrote:

>+1 to this concept, though it seems that it should be ok for themes to
>provide their own... Therefore if you specify a custom favicon in the
>theme admin section, you override the default, but otherwise the
>default is used. The pseudo-code in the theme would look like:
>
>if {drupal-favicon}
>  output link to drupal-favicon
>else
>  output link to theme-favicon
>end if

This wouldn't work very well.  Sites are pretty much limited to one
favicon.  That's because the browser stores the icon in its cache until
it get deleted.  So, for most users, changing the theme won't have any
affect on the favicon.

Also, I'm just not sure I agree that each theme should have its own
favicon.  Why would each theme need its own icon?  What purpose would
that serve?  I think this would confuse users who expect there to be
only one icon per site.