[drupal-devel] Let's accept more interim solutions

Nedjo Rogers nedjo at gworks.ca
Thu Apr 21 16:00:48 UTC 2005

To clarify: ideally (and likely I'm just stating the obvious) the thresholds
we set for acceptance reflect the stages of the development cycle.

At the point we're currently at in the cycle - when the CVS HEAD has just
been opened up after a new release - we should be working to clear away the
backlog.  This is the ideal time to be applying new patches: when we still
have the rest of the cycle to work with.  This means we have, probably,
months to iron out any small remaining details, and also to take advantage
of possibilities opened up by the changes.  Or, if major unforeseen problems
show up, to roll the change back--it wouldn't be the first time, and it's
not the end of the world.  If there's a time when we have maximum tolerance
for small issues or instabilities in CVS, this would be it.

As the cycle progresses, we have less time to work with, more need to be
ensuring stability, and hence diminishing ability to apply large changes.

In sum: early in the cycle - now! - is the time to be clearing the deck,
applying any patch that has has obvious support, has addressed any major
issues (leaving aside minor details or small remaining discussions) and
applies without raising
errors.

Because if not now, then when?