[drupal-devel] Let's accept more interim solutions

Allie Micka allie at pajunas.com
Fri Apr 22 18:14:42 UTC 2005

I am in agreement with this line of thinking, but I also feel like the
whole modules arena is getting to be wild territory.  In the long run,
perhaps it will make sense to have an "inner circle" of modules in
addition to a clean and fast core.

The collection of modules wouldn't necessarily be distributed with
core, but represent an array of non-overlapping functionality.  Pehaps
this is achieved through votes or a certain level of maturity.  It is
just starting to get to the point where the module list is getting
unwieldy and it isn't clear what each is doing, so there's overlap and
inexperience.  The tier of "approved" modules would presumably not
suffer this problem, so if they do include patches to core it won't be
as big of a concern.

This lets core stay clean and efficient, diffuses some module confusion
and - where appropriate - lets modules themselves provide interim
solutions.

On Friday, April 22, 2005, at 04:22 AM, Jose A. Reyero wrote:

> I completely agree with Ber on this one.
>
> And I think we should go for a smaller core and then some
> distributions with pre-packaged modules and specific patches. And we
> should start separating concepts like 'Drupal core' and 'standard
> distribution'.
>

> Bèr Kessels wrote:
>
>> A big -1 from me. Drupals core must be small, clean and most of all
>> very stable. I beleive Drupal would benefit most from a linux alike
>> idea: kernel and distro;s. A kernel (drupal core) is very
>> conservative, vey well maintained and very strict in what it accepts.
>> Its up to the distros to add modules, themes and pre-configured
>> databases and ship that as their distro. And off course a distro
>> could ship with patches applied to its particular core. For example a
>> DrupalI18N would be a nice distro.

Allie Micka
pajunas interactive, inc.
http://www.pajunas.com/

scalable web hosting and open source solutions