[drupal-devel] node-associated image module--advice wanted

Matt Westgate matt at asitis.org
Sat Apr 23 12:56:19 UTC 2005

On Saturday 23 April 2005 03:38 am, Ber Kessels wrote:
> My idea, is that we have various technologies to achieve the same theing
> for an end-user: show an *inline* image on a place in a text.
> We, developers, see all sorts of images: nodes, attachements, files,
> uploads etc. And thus we tend to treat them different. Wrong, wrong,
> wrong! They might *be* differentm, yes, but they should never be treated
> that way. The end user should never, ever, have to bother about the
> technology behind an image.

Apologies in advance for tooting my own horn, but I just wanted to point out
that I consider an integration of Drupal components an important feature and
have tried to implement this in my img_assist module. A couple of examples:

1) When inserting an inline image, it knows the capabilities of the receiving
textarea.  If it can handle input formats a filter is inserted. If not HTML
is used.  Img_assist even has hooks for rich-text editors to register a
callback upon image insertion, all transparent to the user (unless they have
permission to choose their own output).

3) Images are collected from the files table rather than being module
dependent. So it doesn't matter if an image was uploaded with upload module,
image module or something else, it'll show up in the image browsing window.

Matt