[drupal-devel] DrupalForge?

Stefan Nagtegaal Drupal-Devel at iStyledThis.nl
Sun Apr 24 18:56:34 UTC 2005

Op 24-apr-05 om 19:23 heeft Gerhard Killesreiter het volgende
geschreven:

> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005, Dries Buytaert wrote:

>>> I find it fairly easy through SourceForge's interface (and by
>>> extension MamboForge and others like it) to figure out what's useful
>>> and what's crap (mostly by looking at a module's activity level and
>>> status). It's much harder in Drupal, despite the relatively small
>>> number of modules (as compared to SF projects!), to figure out what's
>>> useful.
>>
>> XOOPS and Postnuke use the SourceForge software as well.  Wordpress
>> uses Trac.  Plone has its own module/plugin management software.
>>
>> Personally, I prefer to devote my time improving the project module.
>> The fact that we eat our own food, motivates us to improve, refactor
>> and tune Drupal to become a better platform.
>
> The "problem" with that approach is that the project module is not used
> by many people outside drupal.org.
>
> This is probably due to two factors:
>
> 1) Even long time Drupal contributors are scared by it.
> 2) It is too much geared towards software development to be usable for
>    anything else.
>
> If we could agree to at least change the policy with regard to 2)  (for
> example removing the hard coded status values (see Nedjo's patch))
> you'd probably see more patches or at least interest from other people
> and thus improvements or at least testers.
Another reason why people are probably scared to work with the
project.module is the fact that it does too much! (And, I think we have
more modules that does this, and would also be better off splitted into
more than one module)

if we could split the module into 3 or 4 depending modules, it would be
probably much easier to get an overview of what needs to be done and -
even more important - where it needs to be done.

Regards,

Stefan.