[drupal-devel] DrupalForge?

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Sun Apr 24 18:30:10 UTC 2005

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005, Dries Buytaert wrote:

> On 24 Apr 2005, at 18:24, Eric Scouten wrote:
>
> > Jeff Robbins wrote:
> >
> >> And just for reference, Mambo features an entire website dedicated to
> >> its modules, components, and themes:
> >> http://mamboforge.net
> >
> > I find it fairly easy through SourceForge's interface (and by
> > extension MamboForge and others like it) to figure out what's useful
> > and what's crap (mostly by looking at a module's activity level and
> > status). It's much harder in Drupal, despite the relatively small
> > number of modules (as compared to SF projects!), to figure out what's
> > useful.
>
> XOOPS and Postnuke use the SourceForge software as well.  Wordpress
> uses Trac.  Plone has its own module/plugin management software.
>
> Personally, I prefer to devote my time improving the project module.
> The fact that we eat our own food, motivates us to improve, refactor
> and tune Drupal to become a better platform.

The "problem" with that approach is that the project module is not used
by many people outside drupal.org.

This is probably due to two factors:

1) Even long time Drupal contributors are scared by it.
2) It is too much geared towards software development to be usable for
   anything else.

If we could agree to at least change the policy with regard to 2)  (for
example removing the hard coded status values (see Nedjo's patch))
you'd probably see more patches or at least interest from other people
and thus improvements or at least testers.

Cheers,
	Gerhard