[drupal-devel] Let's accept more interim solutions

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 01:01:13 UTC 2005

It seems to me that a primary barrier to this goal is the intrinsic
hackability of Drupal. Whereas a number of other systems (okay, I'm
thinking of WordPress) expose a lot of "surface area" to relatively
unskilled hackers to do cool and interesting things, Drupal's
hackability is buried beneath a layer of complexity that makes it hard
for folks like me who are interested in, but not capable of, making
cool and exciting things happen.

I don't have a clear idea of how to fix this, but I'm suggesting that
we think about ways of pulling Drupal's cooler features up to the
surface where making hacks are more accessible... one way to do this
*might* be to offer module and theme editors in the admin section...
making it possible to work on and improve modules without having to
interact with a server... while many in the Drupal community might not
be directly interested in this feature, I think it would do a great
deal for bubbling up the ability to hack on do cool things with
Drupal.

Chris