[drupal-devel] Drupal performance testing

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Aug 19 07:30:36 UTC 2005

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Dries Buytaert wrote:

> On 19 Aug 2005, at 04:23, Moshe Weitzman wrote:
> > you definately want to test with and node_access module like
> > organic groups if you intend to use one in production. the presence
> > of this sort of module adds some complexity to some key queries.
>
> There are dozens of paramaters (MySQL configuration, Apache
> configuration, opcode cache, MySQL cache, hardware, single-server vs
> multi-server setup, Drupal version, Drupal modules installed, Drupal
> settings, etc.)  What we really need is a script or tool that allows
> us to benchmark a particular setup.

Ack. This way you could change your setup and check how performance
changes.

> The script/tool should take an input file with one or more
> navigation patterns or scenario's to simulate/benchmark.

I had come across tools that allow specification of such patterns.
Typical patterns should ideally be extracted from the site in
question as each site is different. We'd need a script to extract them
from the accesslog.

> We could use the same script to evaluate the performance impact of
> certain code changes.

Right.

> Then, with the script/ tool we can benchmark and tune existing
> configurations and document our knowledge in a document.
>
> In addition to such tool, we need tools to profile your site while
> being benchmarks.  Some profiling can be done by using certain Drupal
> modules/patches (eg. like the one I made to profile the cache
> behavior).  For other things, you might need other tools.

While doing some benchmarks on redLED's machines earlier this year I
used a script that monitored about 165 system parameters over time.
Should be enough info for everybody...

Cheers,
	Gerhard