[drupal-devel] Drupal performance testing

Dries Buytaert dries at buytaert.net
Fri Aug 19 05:23:26 UTC 2005

On 19 Aug 2005, at 04:23, Moshe Weitzman wrote:
> you definately want to test with and node_access module like
> organic groups if you intend to use one in production. the presence
> of this sort of module adds some complexity to some key queries.

There are dozens of paramaters (MySQL configuration, Apache
configuration, opcode cache, MySQL cache, hardware, single-server vs
multi-server setup, Drupal version, Drupal modules installed, Drupal
settings, etc.)  What we really need is a script or tool that allows
us to benchmark a particular setup.  The script/tool should take an
input file with one or more navigation patterns or scenario's to
simulate/benchmark.  We could use the same script to evaluate the
performance impact of certain code changes.  Then, with the script/
tool we can benchmark and tune existing configurations and document
our knowledge in a document.

In addition to such tool, we need tools to profile your site while
being benchmarks.  Some profiling can be done by using certain Drupal
modules/patches (eg. like the one I made to profile the cache
behavior).  For other things, you might need other tools.