[drupal-devel] no ?> needed at the end of modules

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Fri Aug 19 19:03:05 UTC 2005

On Friday 19 August 2005 01:45 pm, Karoly Negyesi wrote:

> > I prefer that it remains, regardless whether it is needed or not. PHP
> > coding everywhere, for any application, needs to have both the <? and
> > ?>. Having PHP developers come to Drupal with an admonition to not close
> > their tags is dirty, anti-learning, and case-scenario-ish.
>
> But you do not deny that it solves the whitespace issue. I do not think
> code style should win over a problem, but... the list will decide.

Like the E_NOTICE issue, the answer is to do things the "right way", because
in the end that makes for cleaner and more maintainable code.  Encouraging
non-tight code is a bad practice.

If stray space characters at the end of files is a problem and just deleting
them isn't viable, then the "correct" solution is output buffering.  I'm
actually rather surprised that and curious why Drupal doesn't do output
buffering for the whole page simply by default.  That would actually make
debugging a bit easier, too (at least under 4.6), since then print debug
statements don't mess with header commands. :-)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson