[drupal-devel] [wanted] mail queue

Dries Buytaert dries at buytaert.net
Thu Aug 25 07:10:06 UTC 2005

On 17 Aug 2005, at 10:46, Dries Buytaert wrote:
> Anyone with a mail background that would like to investigate http://
> drupal.org/node/28604 ?
>
> The idea is to create a mail.inc for core that implements a mail
> queue, as well as provides common functionality such as converting
> HTML to text.
>
> It would be a centralized building block for modules like
> notify.module, project.module, subscription.module,
> simplenews.module, etc.

Lots of people showed interest in working on this, though as far as I
know no one stepped forward to take a lead.  I suggest someone
creates a _minimal_ mail.inc first.  As soon that is in place,
everyone can submit patches to extend the mail queue functionality.

A minimal mail.inc implements a mail queue, an mail-function, a cron-
function, and a setting to throttle the rate of outgoing mails.  The
mail-function' should have two modes: 'send mail later', 'send mail
now'.  Regardless of this mode, the accounting should be correct.  We
can worry about HTML-mail, embedding images, bounces in subsequent
rounds.

Please raise your hand if you commit to working on this in the next
few weeks/days.  Thanks.