[drupal-devel] [wanted] mail queue

Boris Mann borismann at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 01:53:19 UTC 2005

On 24-Aug-05, at 11:37 PM, Dries Buytaert wrote:

> On 17 Aug 2005, at 10:46, Dries Buytaert wrote:
>
>> Anyone with a mail background that would like to investigate
>> http://drupal.org/node/28604 ?
>>
>> The idea is to create a mail.inc for core that implements a mail
>> queue, as well as provides common functionality such as converting
>> HTML to text.
>>
>> It would be a centralized building block for modules like
>> notify.module, project.module, subscription.module,
>> simplenews.module, etc.
>>

> Lots of people showed interest in working on this, though as far as
> I know no one stepped forward to take a lead.  I suggest someone
> creates a _minimal_ mail.inc first.  As soon that is in place,
> everyone can submit patches to extend the mail queue functionality.
>
> A minimal mail.inc implements a mail queue, an mail-function, a
> cron-function, and a setting to throttle the rate of outgoing
> mails.  The mail-function' should have two modes: 'send mail
> later', 'send mail now'.  Regardless of this mode, the accounting
> should be correct.  We can worry about HTML-mail, embedding images,
> bounces in subsequent rounds.
>
> Please raise your hand if you commit to working on this in the next
> few weeks/days.  Thanks.

Jonathan is doing some work for us on (finally!) merging subscription
+ notify, and making it general enough to handle multiple forms of
subscription (i.e. email subscription for which the mail.inc stuff is
necessary, RSS subscription, SMS, Jabber, etc. etc.)

I'll see if the mail stuff makes sense for him to do at the same
time. Probably not the HTML-to-text, although there is a ton of code
for that floating around (the mailhandler filter throws errors right
now) -- sounds like a default email filter.

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bmannconsulting.com