[development] Administration Survey: Theme improvements, theme help system, theme mailing list

Andre Molnar mcsparkerton at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 1 16:05:58 UTC 2005

Kieran Lal wrote:

> On Dec 1, 2005, at 7:40 AM, andre wrote:
>
>> Notwithstanding the 'potential' problems with sending xhtml as
>> text/html - see: http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml (or google for
>> similar documents) - the idea is to encourage the creation of valid
>> markup - and have all markup passed through a validator first (which
>> eliminates the 'real' problems).
>>

>> On that note - it might be a good idea to include links to pages like:
>> http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml part of the best practices
>> documentation.
>>

> Can we resolve these issues and make solid recommendations I can include
> in the documentation?

IMHO the solid recommendation is -

Make sure to include a doc type declaration in your theme.

VALIDATE no matter what - both your (x)html and your css.

Which standard the developer uses to validate is up to the developer -
BUT - best practice suggestion is to validate XHTML 1.0 Strict.

Include links to http://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/#validators
and optionally information about XHTML so theme developers can make an
informed decision when choosing their doc type.

andre