[development] Administration Survey: Theme improvements, theme help system, theme mailing list

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Thu Dec 1 16:44:52 UTC 2005

On Dec 1, 2005, at 8:05 AM, Andre Molnar wrote:

> Kieran Lal wrote:
>> On Dec 1, 2005, at 7:40 AM, andre wrote:
>>> Notwithstanding the 'potential' problems with sending xhtml as
>>> text/html - see: http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml (or google
>>> for similar documents) - the idea is to encourage the creation of
>>> valid markup - and have all markup passed through a validator
>>> first (which eliminates the 'real' problems).
>>>

>>> On that note - it might be a good idea to include links to pages
>>> like: http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml part of the best
>>> practices documentation.
>>>
>> Can we resolve these issues and make solid recommendations I can
>> include in the documentation?
>
> IMHO the solid recommendation is -
>
> Make sure to include a doc type declaration in your theme.

Can you give a basic explanation of doc types, with appropriate
link,  and where this is defined in the theme?

> VALIDATE no matter what - both your (x)html and your css.
>
> Which standard the developer uses to validate is up to the
> developer - BUT - best practice suggestion is to validate XHTML 1.0
> Strict.

I update the title to indicate XHTML 1.0 Strict.

> Include links to http://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/#validators and
> optionally information about XHTML so theme developers can make an
> informed decision when choosing their doc type.

I have these two.  I think that is enough.  What do you think?
# Before you start modifying your CSS to fix your bugs it is
important to ensure you are styling valid HTML or XHTML. There is a
web validator is built into the Firefox Web Developer toolbar.
# A more advanced tool for analyzing HTML pages for looking over
code, spotting errors is the Watchfire WebXACT tool.

Thanks for all your help.

Kieran