[development] Scratching an itch:Machine Learning

vlado vlado at dikini.net
Tue Dec 6 16:59:22 UTC 2005

> > In order to get any sort of AI and / or learning system in, we need:
> >  * external libraries, PHP is Just Not Ready for this. (performance, memory,
> > and library wise)
Depends, php is perfectly feasible for a lot of AI tasks - look at the spam.module.
It is a classifier. It performs reasonably well.

It is a challenge as well. Depends. From some of the evaluations I've
done some time ago, it is perfectly reasonable to expect a php system
to be used for user profiling and generating adaptive websites. Learning
algorithms are not nessesarily heavy.

> Hmm. If not PHP, then were is the logic? I'm most familiar with the Weka
> toolkit:
> http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/ml/weka/

Have a look at triana http://www.trianacode.org , you can get a web
services environment wrapping the weka classes with that. And the guys
are experimenting a lot with it. But it is heavy. It is not for Joe X.

There is orange as well:
http://www.ailab.si/orange

And I agree with your logic. There is place for such things in a system
like Drupal. That is power on your fingertips.