[development] image node type

Jeff Eaton jeff at viapositiva.net
Fri Dec 9 18:37:22 UTC 2005

> Respecfully, I think that done right it actually adds simplicity. If
> everything is a node, then you have one model, one framework.
> All nodes
> answer to the same api, and all nodes can benefit implicitly from new
> functionaily introduced in the rest of the system.

In the 20 minutes it took for the discussion to take off, my thinking
has changed on this. ;) My subsequent 6-part bullet list outlines a more
flexible approach. Heh.

You might not agree, but I think that while LOTS of files should be
nodes, the underlying concept of a 'file' is different and should
probably have a bit more flexibility. Links.module does this sort of
abstraction for weblinks -- instead of making a dedicated node for each
outgoing link, it manages links on its own and provides a 'weblink' node
to expose specific links as nodes.

This allows other modules (a blogroll, or a 'my favorite sites' list for
each user) to use the same infrastructure without simply creating a huge
cloud of nodes. It also means that if Link X needs to be changed or
redirected, all nodes/etc that use it benefit from the change. That's
something that files can definitely benefit from.

--Jeff