[development] Drupal 4.7.0 beta2 / rc?

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 10:36:58 UTC 2005

Hello world,

I wanted to open up a discussion as how to proceed with the Drupal
4.7.0 release schedule.  There are two aspects I'd like us to
brainstorm about:

   1. When do we release a second beta (or a release candidate)?
Given the number of critical/annoying bugs we fixed since beta 1 has
been released, I think a second beta might be in order.  The sooner,
the better?

   2. The number of bugs that need fixing grows steadily: http://
drupal.org/project/issues?
projects=3060&versions=9728&states=1,8,13,14,2.  How do we encourage
more people to help fix bugs?  How do we help people fix bugs?

      I think there is a need for people dedicated to helping
Drupal.org users turn forum topics into bug reports, as well as for
people dedicated to reviewing, categorizing and harvesting bug
reports.  Is the problem description clear?  Is the problem easy to
reproduce?  Is it really critical?  If not, help them improve their
bug report.  Replying with one-liners like 'File a bug report!' or
'RTFM' is not considered helping in this context.  The goal is to
assist, to be helpful, to pull them on board and hopefully to make
them "stick".  Similarly, I think there is room for people that
review patches like teachers would.  In short, we need friendly hosts
that help people make their first steps in their Drupal career.

Suggestions and concrete action points are welcome,