[development] strange inconsistency: 'custom_url_rewrite'

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Mon Dec 26 19:57:27 UTC 2005

Here is wat I wrote:
* There is an odd inconsistency. Its not OO (object oriented) friendly to
allow only one function. We don't do this anywhere else.
* I cannot **find** the way to achive what I want: mass aliasing of urls based
on certain dynamic parameters. ('foo' to 12 if foo is the title of term with
tid 12)

Here is what I asked:
* Am I missing something? Did we deliberately introduce this inconsistency for
performance reasons?
* Or for some other reason?

What I see in that thread only answers part of my problem:
* yes, its a performance thing.
* No ,there is no way I can use anythign in that direction to allow rewriting
of urls.

So, I get from this, that we will have to live with the inconsistency. And I
will probably (?) not be able to write a tag - tid mapping module that
rewrites the urls. Because honestly, a module cannot have that function.
It /will/ break! It would mean that my module exludes any module that wants
to do something (remotely) similar.

An I think it is indeed not i18n specific as my use case very well points out.
Another use case would be to map /user/CHX to user/12345. Again. This is not
possible atm. (though this could possibly be stored in the database, IMO its
a silly and odd overkil)

Oh, and thank you for your friendly answer. ;)

Bèr 'not being able to keep track of all the core threads, because he is not
undistractableCHX' Kessels.
 PGP ber at webschuur.com
  http://www.webschuur.com/sites/webschuur.com/files/ber_webschuur.asc
 PGP berkessels at gmx.net