[development] Re: [infrastructure] Drupal.org should have better URL aliases

Neil Drumm drumm at delocalizedham.com
Tue Dec 27 17:16:17 UTC 2005

Dries Buytaert wrote:
> I think WP doesn't use an intermediate table that contains (source  URL,
> destination URL)-tuples.  Instead, it directly translates the  URL to a
> database query that looks up the post.

Which is exactly what we should be doing. This works cleanly for objects
with unique titles such as taxonomy terms and users since there is a one
to one mapping of titles to objects. Another indexed column would have
to be added to save the url-sanitized version of the title for quick
lookups.

When something is renamed we need to do a permament redirect at the
previous URL. This can be done by extending URL aliasing or a parallel
system which would be similar to URL aliasing since both work with pairs
of URLs.

I suggest worrying about the harder problem, node urls, after we solve
the easy problems.

I might code this if I find the time, but not for 4.7, it is too late in
the development cycle to be adding a redirect API.

--
Neil Drumm
http://delocalizedham.com/