[development] Bridging PHP to Java or C++?

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Thu Dec 29 04:00:19 UTC 2005

On 28-Dec-05, at 4:05 PM, Chris Johnson wrote:

> Trying to integrate either Java or a C++ library into PHP just so
> that one can run a Java or C++ machine learning system sounds
> really painful.  Unless the performance needs to be high and the
> transaction latency extremely low, this sounds like a perfect case
> for NOT integrating the code, but calling it via some sort of
> remote procedure call (RPC) or remote method instantiation (RMI --
> Javaspeak for a previously existing concept -- grrrr >:-( ).
>
> How about writing a Java server that does the machine language
> stuff that can accept an XML-RPC socket connection from Drupal
> instead?  That's got to be a thousand times easier to do, and the
> performance won't be that bad.

Yep. And, of course, you can do fun stuff like expose what kind of
inputs/outputs you are willing to accept, and potentially have
different server implementations. Actually....thinking about it a bit
more, and you have a distributed grid of machine learning, with
Drupal slurping in results and spitting them back out again. Fun!

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595