[development] Counterintuitive but true: Caching makes a high-traffic site slower

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Fri Dec 30 14:58:29 UTC 2005

On 12/30/05, Bèr Kessels <ber at webschuur.com> wrote:
> Op donderdag 29 december 2005 22:17, schreef Khalid B:
> > Not sure about making it the default though ...

Ber

I think I was not clear enough. What I meant was I do not think
making InnoDB the default for Drupal will not be a good idea, since
only the very high traffic sites that experience locking contention
suffer from this.

For the majority, it seems MySQL is not an issue.

> Again I am no SQL Guru, but it sounds like we could easyly make a shell or
> even PHP CLI script  that:
> * runs the database.mysql (does this count for postgre too?) and changes the
> MyISAM stuff into another (innodb) command and then saves that as a
> database_innodb.mysql

That is quit possible. But the issue is whether we want it to be the default
or not.

John Handelaar was able to alter the tables on the fly and change their type
on a live site.  Perhaps John can give us some more technical details.