[drupal-devel] settings inconsistencies

Andre Molnar mcsparkerton at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 2 11:13:56 UTC 2005

Bèr Kessels wrote:
> Could be please leverage these discrussions to a higer level?

I read the wiki pages.  My 0.02.

The real solution is to allow each module to build its own menu/s.  Not
as local tasks - but full on stand alone menus that get blocked.  This
guarantees that each menu will automatically have all like items grouped
together - and all settings are handled in the right place.

user_module should only handle building user menu blocks - right now it
is in charge of blocking not only user menu items and user setting menu
items  - but all module settings menu items as well. Not the place for
it IMHO.

I had proposed a change to the menu system to allow modules to build
their own menus, but I wasn't thinking about the default navigation
menu... not until now did I realize new possibilities (if done right) we
could:

a) unload all sorts of menu block building work from user module (where
it shouldn't really  be).

b) get rid of the menu_module completely (the menu system would remain,
but menu administration would be handled by the modules).

c) automatically have role based display of module blocks (since all
module blocks would be based individual menus)

What I had originally proposed for the menu system and book module is
only the tip of the iceberg for what could be done if modules build
their own menus.

This would be a major overhaul - but not too difficult.  The framework
is all there - its just about refactoring it.

I'll be happy to start working on code for this.

andre

p.s. but since this isn't realistically going to happen by 4.6 we do
need to talk about what is best under the current situation.