[drupal-devel] settings inconsistencies

Bèr Kessels berdrupal at tiscali.be
Wed Feb 2 11:54:09 UTC 2005

Op woensdag 2 februari 2005 12:13, schreef Andre Molnar:
> Bèr Kessels wrote:
> > Could be please leverage these discrussions to a higer level?
>
> I read the wiki pages.  My 0.02.
>
> The real solution is to allow each module to build its own menu/s.  Not
> as local tasks - but full on stand alone menus that get blocked.  This
> guarantees that each menu will automatically have all like items grouped
> together - and all settings are handled in the right place.
>
> user_module should only handle building user menu blocks - right now it
> is in charge of blocking not only user menu items and user setting menu
> items  - but all module settings menu items as well. Not the place for
> it IMHO.

Right. But the *allow* part should be stressed. It is not *must*. Because, for
example, xtrastatistics.module should not make a menu block extra statistics,
but should place its menu entries under statistics.

> a) unload all sorts of menu block building work from user module (where
> it shouldn't really  be).
True. But this should be step #2. First we must agree upon the way menus
should be ordered. IMO these are two separate (related, yes, but not
depending on one -another) tasks.

> b) get rid of the menu_module completely (the menu system would remain,
> but menu administration would be handled by the modules).

Then you want to give away the power to make your own menu structure, suited
for your personal preferences? -1 on that.

> c) automatically have role based display of module blocks (since all
> module blocks would be based individual menus)
This is not quite clear. At least I fail to see what this has got to do with
the menu-structures.

Regards,
 Bèr
--