[drupal-devel] Howto enable webdav in your drupal directory

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Feb 4 12:55:34 UTC 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Vladimir Zlatanov wrote:

> > If I read all this stuff right, you will now be able to modify Drupal's
> > files through webDAV. While this is probably interesting I think that
> > modifying and uploading files to Drupal through webDAV would be more
> > interesting. Eg image module would have an webDAV enabled upload
> > directory and retrieve uloaded files from there.
>
> Indeed, but probably it would be better to implement a webdav(ish)
> hook, webdav is a kind of file/version control oriented RPC. Drupal
> does have the nessesary igradients to be able to implement it - XML
> parser, php knows about post, put, whatever http requests, we have
> the example of the BlogApi, Webdav is not too different.

I think there are webDAV scripts in PHP. However, for my purposes it
would be sufficient to use the mod_dav Apache module.

> A native understanging of DAV will allow updating any content by
> submitting a file via webDAV.

True.

> The only missing ingredient is http authentication against drupal, that
> is Drupal knowing and speaking the www-authenticate and authorization
> http headers.

I think there is another Apache module that could be used for this.
I will check this.

A native Drupal solution would probably be more interesting, but also
more difficult to implement. ;^)

Cheers,
	Gerhard