[drupal-devel] Howto enable webdav in your drupal directory

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Fri Feb 4 17:07:55 UTC 2005

Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

> If I read all this stuff right, you will now be able to modify Drupal's
> files through webDAV. While this is probably interesting I think that
> modifying and uploading files to Drupal through webDAV would be more
> interesting. Eg image module would have an webDAV enabled upload
> directory and retrieve uloaded files from there.

That would be most interesting and useful to me -- and others who have hosts
like mine.  My primary hosting company only allows access to files via WebDAV;
there is no FTP and no shell.

That means it is a problem to have Drupal have upload directories; they have
to be created writable by everyone, since the web server runs as a different
UID than each WebDAV user (e.g. the site owner).  Having "open" directories
like that is not very secure or desirable.  But if Drupal could use my WebDAV
credentials and do WebDAV uploads, all would be solved.

My host uses mod_dav with Apache.

--
Chris Johnson