[drupal-devel] CiviCRM: We need your Input by 2/14/2005

David Geilhufe dgeilhufe at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 17:37:47 UTC 2005

[apologies for somewhat excessive cross posting]

CiviCRM is seeking input on the design documents for
our open-source (GPL) relationship-management
application for the NPO/NGO sector. Four full-time
developers will start coding CiviCRM to the design
documents on 2/14/05. Get your input in by then!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WHAT IS CiviCRM?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CiviCRM is a LAMP-based, open-source project to create
relationship management software for the nonprofit and
nongovernmental sectors. CiviCRM stores information on
the universe of people associated with a nonprofit
organization and on their interactions (emails,
donations, petitions, events, etc.).

http://objectledge.org/confluence/display/CRM/CRM+Project+One+Pager

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
INPUT ON WHAT?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CiviCRM manages contacts and relationships for other
software applications. Initially CiviCRM will manage
contacts and relationships for the Drupal/ CivicSpace
platform (www.civicspacelabs.org).

For other software developers to use CiviCRM, they
need to know the data model and the public API. The
data model defines what is available (individuals,
households, organizations, relationships, groups,
actions) and the API defines how developers access and
manipulate that data.

To review documents, follow the hyper link, scroll to
the bottom of the page, and click the “add a comment”
hyper link.

Feature overview (high level):
http://objectledge.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=592
Data model:
http://objectledge.org/confluence/display/CRM/Data+Model
Public API:
http://objectledge.org/confluence/display/CRM/CRM+v1.0+Public+APIs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HEY, I’M NOT A CODE-HEAD!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If the documents above make your head hurt, you can
still make a valuable contribution! Write a user
narrative for us about how a NPO/NGO would store,
group and manipulate information about individuals,
households and organizations.

User narratives are plain English stories about what a
NPO/NGO would do with CiviCRM.

To contribute a user narrative, follow the link below,
read the examples, scroll to the bottom and click the
“add a comment” hyper link.
http://objectledge.org/confluence/display/CRM/User+Narratives

THIS IS COOL, HOW CAN I HELP IN MY COPIOUS SPARE TIME?
CiviCRM is an open, community process. We encourage
broad participation. The more you contribute time and
effort, the more impact you will have on CiviCRM.

Find out how to participate here:
http://objectledge.org/confluence/display/CRM/How+to+Participate

Alternatively, drop me, David Geilhufe, an email at
dgeilhufe AT-yahoo DOT-com. We’ll find a good way for
you to contribute and get all your questions answered.

Please distribute this announcement to anyone that you
think needs to know about CiviCRM

David Geilhufe
CiviCRM Team Member
dgeilhufe AT-yahoo DOT-com